Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Eating Vegan???


Going Vegan?
I have taken my healthy eating one step further by practicing Vegan eating habits.  If you are not familiar with vegan eating it can be a real change from the traditional diet.  Vegans do not eat meat or anything that comes from an animal.  This includes foods like eggs, cheese, milk or milk products.  The vegan diet is plant based.  If you are serious about getting healthy and/or weight loss then vegan is the answer.
My husband began eating vegan to benefit his health and weight. He has lost over 40 pounds in about 3 months, lowered his cholesterol, cured his sleep apnea, and increased his energy.  I know what you are saying, REALLY--WOW that is amazing.  Yes, it is all true and AMAZING!! I witnessed this transformation first hand and now I also am a believer that vegan is the healthy way to increase your overall health and allow your body to achieve a healthy weight.  From reading my blog you already know that I have been eating healthy for more than 2 years and experienced increased weight loss however nothing like my husband did with eating vegan.  Before I began eating vegan I was suffering from insomnia.  I had difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep.  This was a great concern to me and my doctor for the health risks that arise from lack of a healthy sleep pattern.  Once I started eating a vegan diet I began to sleep.  It was truly amazing!  I also lost 10 pounds and I wasn't even trying to lose weight.  That is what is so neat about eating vegan by cutting out the meat that contains saturated fats the weight just naturally falls off. 
I have read and heard from many people concerning all kinds of diets and eating plans.  Healthy eating benefits your overall health and weight however I must say that I have never seen or experienced the results like those from eating vegan.  By eating vegan with a plant based diet your body will respond and you will see the difference in your energy, sleep, and overall health. 

I do not claim to have all the answers to eating vegan but everyday I am learning more and including new foods into my diet.  What is neat about eating vegan is you can eat as many fruits/vegetables as you desire.  The challenge is to be sure you are eating a balance and getting the protein your body requires.  Take note that this is plant based protein and not protein from meat. 



As I discover new recipes and foods for eating vegan I will pass them on through my blog.  As a start I have included a picture of some of the basics I began using.  The first is a plant based protein smoothie mix that is a great way to start your day or include to gain protein, fiber, and vitamins/minerals.  This powder can be found at Walmart for about $10.00.   This is a much healthier alternative than drinking slim fast.
In the morning in a blender combine 1- 10 ounce glass of almond milk with one scoop of the smoothie powder, 5 ice cubes, 1 banana, teaspoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds.  Mix until creamy and enjoy.  You can also add any fruit you desire or none at all.  I include fruit for added benefits and creamy texture.  The next product listed is Quinoa.  Quinoa is a wonderful food that is very similar to rice.  It has more protein than rice.  Quinoa contains 12g of protein in 1/2 cup compared to only 3g in 1/2 cup of brown rice which is a big difference.  Quinoa also has more fiber and is gluten free.  Including Quinoa in your recipes is a good way to get protein into your diet.  Quinoa is also good cold or hot.  I add it to soups, vegan meatless balls, and cabbage rolls.  I will include those recipes with pictures in the near future. 
I hope this information gets you seeking more information about vegan eating.  I know you will experience improved health and healthy weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment