Friday, August 30, 2013

Body Shapes and Healthy Eating

     Yesterday I posted information related to the different body types and weight loss.  I wanted to add some suggestions for healthy eating related to your particular body type. 

     My husband and I are two different body types.  He is a apple and I am a pear.   Even though we are different body types we share many or almost all of the same foods.  My husband is a practicing vegan going on one month.  He has been very successful with this in reference to his body type and weight loss.  In the past month he has lost almost 30 pounds.  As an apple shape or hunter body type he is to eat more protein and avoid starches and breads according to Dr. Liponis.  When you think of protein most people automatically think meat however you can get protein in many different ways.  As a vegan my husband does not eat meat and gets his protein from tofu, lentils, quinoa, beans, kale, and protein powder he adds to his morning smoothie.  One of his favorite meals is when I make meatless meatballs.  If you do eat meat and are an apple body type you should seek meats that are low in saturated fat like chicken, turkey, and limit your red meat and be sure to eat lean cuts that are organic/grass fed.  Remember that in any healthy eating plan you want to stay away from saturated fat like that found in most red meat. 

     As a pear shape I need to eat more fiber and healthy carbs. That would include whole wheat grains and pasta, oatmeal, Ezekiel bread and cereal, as well as green vegetables.   I limit my carbs and eat pasta (whole wheat) only once a week.  I include more healthy carbs found in vegetables and whole wheat/sprouted grain products.  I include GBOMBS (greens, beans, onions,mushrooms, berries, and seeds) in almost every meal or snack.  I have been following very closely to my husbands vegan plan for I do not eat any meat however I do eat fish/seafood and low fat cheese on my pizza once a week.  Other than those things we eat the same mostly fruits, vegetables, quinoa, lentils, tofu, and a lot of soups and stir fries.  The GBOMBS are easily incorporated into stir fries, soups, and salads.  I have even taking a liking to tofu however it has to be the firm kind and cooked with the right glaze or seasoning.  I really like tofu in the Chinese Cantonese  that we buy from our local Chinese restaurant. 
     One thing that I would like to add.  I have changed my eating habits and been eating healthy for over almost two years with great success.  I have found that by cutting out red meat I have been sleeping better.  Before I had to take something to help me sleep like Valerian or sometimes Motrin PM.  For a month now I have not eaten any meat and wow what an improvement in my sleep.  I am no longer taking an sleep aids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment