Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Keeping Fresh Herbs/Tip for Roasted Peppers

I love cooking with spices and herbs.  Fresh herbs are great however if you are not able to buy them using dried herbs works just as well.  Many of my herbs are dried however I like to buy fresh cilantro and basil.  I have tried growing herbs however that hasn't always worked for me.  With that said,  I am always finding myself buying fresh basil and cilantro and only getting one or two uses from them before they go bad.   I use cilantro almost daily to make guacamole and needed to find a way to either grow it or keep in fresher longer.

  I was storing my fresh herbs in the frig and that seemed to work a little better however they would still wilt within a few days.  I have discovered the key to keeping fresh herbs for a longer time.  When you buy your herbs like cilantro or basil simply trim the stems and place them in a cup of cool water just like you would with fresh cut flowers.  Each day replenish the water and weed out any dried up pieces.  You will be able to keep the herbs longer which saves money, add some color to your kitchen, and enjoy the flavor of fresh herbs.With this method I only buy my herbs once a week.

Tip for always having fresh peppers:
I have come across a great way to always have fresh roasted peppers to use in my guacamole and GBOMB that I eat once sometimes twice a day.  I have been buying them already roasted(red and yellow) in a glass jar.  They are located in the grocery store where you would find relish and canned olives.  These are so good and save the work of roasting them yourself which is not always convenient.  I cut them into pieces and fry them in olive oil with mushrooms, onions, and garlic.  This combination is great over any meat or mixed with brown rice and any bean you like.  I love adding in kidney or black beans and rice to mine. 

1 comment:

  1. Just to remind you the G-Bombs are: Greens,beans, onions,mushrooms, berries, and seeds. These are all great for your health and weight loss. I eat most of the Gbombs everyday with at least one meal.
    Cooking onions,mushrooms,peppers,garlic in some olive oil is so easy and goes with almost any meat and is great with rice and beans. I also put it on cold green salad with guacamole, Yum!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete