Thursday, January 24, 2013

Stevia Natural Sweetner

Try Stevia in place of sugar.  Stevia is all natural and comes in powder and liquid forms.  Stevia comes from the leaf of the stevia plant and is between 30 and 300 times sweeter than sugar.  Stevia is a great natural substitute for sugar.  It has zero calories and zero glycemic index.  It is safe for diabetics.  It is also all natural and not made with chemicals. Stevia is great for weight loss and weight management because it contains no calories and reduces cravings for sweets and fatty foods.   

I have been including Stevia powder in my baking and it really taste great.  I use it in my bread and the family doesn't even know the difference.  My recipe for bread called for 2 tablespoons of sugar.  I was using organic sugar however I wanted to get away from using any sugar.  As you may know I use honey in many recipes however it would not work in bread so I went in search of a natural alternative and found Stevia.  I have posted information in past postings on Stevia and have begun using it in my baking.  When I use Stevia I replace every tablespoon with one-half teaspoon of Stevia.  That is a big difference for Stevia is a lot sweeter than sugar and therefore you do not need to use as much.
It also taste great in hot tea.  I am going to use it in my fudge and see how that turns out.  I'll keep you posted as I try Stevia in more baked items.
Below it the Stevia conversion chart.

Stevia Conversion Chart

Share on Twitter
Sugar amount Equivalent Stevia powdered extract Equivalent Stevia liquid concentrate
1 cup 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon 1/4 teaspoon 6 to 9 drops
1 teaspoon A pinch to 1/16 teaspoon 2 to 4 drops
From The Stevia Cookbook, copyright 1999 Ray Sahelian and Donna Gates
References:
Stevia.com
WebMD.com

No comments:

Post a Comment